English Grammar Pattern 56
Past Questions with "How"
How far did you walk yesterday?
Although Sentence Pattern 56 seems easy, many students have trouble with it. Many
students learn the word "How" very early in their English studies when they learn to
say "How are you?". From that point on, they rarely use "How" to make past questions.
Practice the sentences and conversations below and it will become very easy for you.
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. How well did he sleep last night?
2. How many cookies did she eat?
3. How did you hurt your hand? (adverb is not always necessary!)
4. How quickly did you go up the stairs?
5. How hungry were you this morning?
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. How well did you sleep last night?
2. How much money did you spend yesterday?
3. How long have you studied English?
4. How far could you throw a ball? (When you were a child!)
5. How did your parents choose your name?
Send this page to a friend: