English Grammar Pattern 70
(1) "Have been" + (2) "ing" + (3) Time
(1) We've been (2) waiting (3) for over three hours!
English Grammar Pattern 70 expresses an action or situation that has continued for
a long time. Do NOT use this for actions that are quick or sudden! (For such actions,
you should use verbs in the simple past tense.)
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. I've been studying English most of my life.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
2. I've been living in New York since I was 10 years old.
3. I've been worrying about tests for too long!
4. She's been studying science since her first day in school.
5. We've been eating in that restaurant since we came to this city.
1. How long have you been studying English?
2. How long have you been living in the same home?
3. Have you been working at the same job a long time?
4. What have you been doing since you finished high school?
5. What kind of transportation have you been using for the past five years?
Send this page to a friend: