Grammar Pattern 29|
Noun + Verb + Noun + Movement
The boss gave some advice to his workers.
The end of Sentence Pattern 29 is usually called an "indirect object". What does
that really mean? It means there is some kind of movement - something is moving
to another place. For example, in the Model Sentence above, what happened to the
advice? It "moved" from the boss to the workers. Most grammar books make this pattern
seem very difficult, but it's not. Just learn the sentences below!
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. She gave the keys to her friend.
2. My brother threw a bone at the dog.
3. My sister moved her home to the city center.
4. We put the old magazines into the garbage bin.
5. The swimmer threw himself into the water.
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. Do you give any kind words to your coworkers?
2. What nice gifts have you given to your parents?
3. What kind of things have you put on top of your television?
4. What can you throw at (or to) your dog?
5. Where do you usually put old newspapers?
6. Which part of the city do you want to move to?
Send this page to a friend: