Grammar Pattern 20|
Noun + Verb + Verb + Noun
She can speak Japanese.
Patterns 20, 21 and 22 have two verbs together in the middle of each sentence. Pattern
20 has two simple verbs together without "to" or "ing". In the Model Sentence, the two
verbs are "can" and "speak". Although this pattern (Pattern 20) is quite
simple, it is important to know the difference between this pattern and the next two
(Pattern 21 and Pattern 22).
Pronunciation Practice - Repeat each sentence out loud!
1. We can read books.
2. I can't hear the music.
3. You will see her.
4. We won't visit him.b>
5. I don't know them.
6. I do know them. ("do" makes it stronger – "I really DO know them"!)
Conversation Practice - Ask these questions to your friends!
1. What can you do well?
2. What can't you do very well?
3. Will you go somewhere tonight?
4. Will you visit anyone tomorrow?
5. Do you know the Marx brothers? (Groucho, Harpo and Chico, not Karl!)
6. Did you study English yesterday?
Send this page to a friend: